[lbo-talk] port huron

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 19 07:27:29 PDT 2011

what axe are you honing now?

given the wealth of experience on this list - people who were actually there - i kinda wanted some reflections on the document. What Max had to say was interesting... the document was meaningless later as the group changed its focus. That would seem kind of obvious to me. On the other hand, the Declaration of Independence resonates. Combahee River Collective Statement still resonantes, IYAM. That shit just never gets old. But Port Huron... holeee Christ. I felt like I was transported back to the days when, before I could get to college, I would read stuff on my own. I'd have all these musty paper backs from popular intellectuals of the 50s and 60s: Reisman, C Wright Mills, AJ Muste, Daniel Bell. The language of Port Huron was so rooted in the terminology and style of writing so endemic at the time - talk of alienation, gray conformity, loss of community, robotic lives, etc.

is there something here I should know, such as 'don't criticize SDS or people will get up in your grill about it?" LOL