[lbo-talk] Jacobin debate up

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 04:46:50 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 12:52 PM, James Leveque wrote:

> And just a further note to Occupy Everywhere. It's inspired solidarity
> protests around the world, but to what extent have those protests remained
> specifically modelled on or in support of what's happening in NY? If and
> when Zuccotti Park gets cleared out - will those demonstrations dry up as
> well? I have no doubt that if Zuccotti Park gets un-occupied, a good chunk
> of the media will declare OWS finished because they are no longer occupying
> Wall Street. If there is a such central focus on ZP, will the other protests
> follow suit?

I think it's a mistake to think of the protests around the world as only, or even mainly, solidarity protests with OWS. I think it's more a case of a compelling meme that found traction and has quickly spread and been adapted to local contexts. There's an element of OWS solidarity running through many of them, but most are (appropriately) much more focused on their own situations. I think many are also watching (quite reasonably) to see how actively anti-imperialist themes are embraced and promoted. Generally, I'd expect expressions of solidarity to follow any crackdowns that may occur around the world, and the intensity of expressions of solidarity with U.S. protestors specifically to depend significantly on how much anti-imp consciousness has been shown.