[lbo-talk] OWS Demands working group: jobs for all!

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:26:28 PDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Max Sawicky wrote:

> More seriously, nobody is going to listen to enviro appeals if they can't
> pay their utility bill.

The point is to help them see the otherwise obvious connection, and to animate them toward the struggle that resolves both issues simultaneously.

> On the latter point, there should be no doubt capitalism is unable to
> provide consistent support for living standards. If you're saying more
> employment and income are not appropriate objects of struggle, then I'm
> afraid we're on different planets.

If we were on separate planets, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be having this conversation. But "employment" - as opposed to appropriately rewarded, creative productivity - sucks, and income shouldn't be an existential worry. I assume you agree with this, in the main.

In an emancipated world, inexcusable slacking when there's collective shit to do should still be treated with a degree of social derision, but only the most recalcitrant should be ostracised. And even they should probably still be fed - just not indulged, or encouraged to marry our offspring.