[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 08:30:49 PDT 2011

> At 09:04 AM 9/2/2011, Carrol Cox wrote:

Public space and public workers are under increasing attack in the U.S.
>> There is nothing more important for leftists to do than to resist that
>> attack.

The funny thing is, on odd-numbered days he'll tell us there's no way to know which current struggles have the most political potential, a statement with which I fully agree. How he reconciles the two sentiments, I have no idea.

I took exception to shag's earlier "important/matters" statements to weed out this kind of absolutism (which I don't think shag buys, but it sounded like it). It amuses me that Carrol buys right into it, especially in light of his many seemingly contradictory statements.

For all I know, in 200 years historians of leftism may look back and conclude that it would have been far more effective for us to tackle, say, the abolition of the Security Council than all the stuff we did instead. Anyone who claims they know for sure has moved out of the realm of serious politics into crystal-ball territory.