[lbo-talk] 9/11 Tenth Anniversary

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 17:54:49 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Bennett" <bennett.mab at gmail.com>

Oh, I don't care. I just assumed that the 10th anniversary would be the subject of all kinds jingoistic propaganda, along with a sanctimonious media blitz. It seems to me, admittedly a long way from New York, that few are making a big deal of it. This appears to confirm something Doug has mentioned in several of his recent podcasts - that US society and culture has lost a great deal of its vitality.

--------

Well. What would the stories talk about? How well the first responders were treated? How successful our campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan have been? How the fight against terrorism has reinvigorated the country? That we caught bin Laden? Big woop!

Vitality gone? Yes. But also, there are just no good stories to tell.

Joanna