[lbo-talk] My visit to the Wall Street occupiers

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Sep 28 14:57:02 PDT 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:28:11 -0400 Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> the very well-cullotted circle around Philippe
> D'Orleans (soon to be {Philippe Égalité) at the Palais Royale who
> organized the plot had some very definite plans, starting with
> destruction of the fortress that was indispensable to his cousin's
> plan for a military occupation of Paris.

Indeed. And no doubt there were similar circles connected with Tahrir Square, and let's hope there are some among -- or some that some emerge from -- the increasingly restless proles of the Developed World. Including our own earnest young hippies apres-la-lettre downtown in my town, who seemed very naif to me but didn't seem stupid or brainwashed -- unlike many of my third-degree neighbors on the Upper West Side, who seem both stupid and brainwashed.

In the dix-huitieme as now, if you had asked the sansculotte in the street what he wanted or what she thought, you would have heard something pretty incoherent.

But ultimately it all depends, really, on the sansculotte in the street, with all his or her muddled ideas. If the muddled ideas get 'em out into the street, then three cheers for the muddled ideas.

"Leadership" is needed, okay -- though how I have come to hate that term. Maybe a topic for tomorrow -- I'm well over quota already.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com