[lbo-talk] On the other hand...Assange...

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 00:21:52 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Chuck Grimes <cagrimes42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> .If I have time I will write a full rebuttal tot his, but I'm kind of
> hoping Glen Greenwald will so I don't have to. Gar Lipow
> --------------
>
> Actually you don't have to. Asylum is a farce and to get a true insight
> into
> why that is so---unless Celia Correa stands up and that point worries
> me---try reading the last chapter, The Planet Without a Visa of Trotsky's
> My Life.

Umm this response makes no sense? Do you honestly think Assange would be better off in Sweden awaiting transfer to a U.S. prison than in a comfortable 3 rooms in the Ecuadorean Embassy? At any rate Greenwald has written a pretty thorough takedown of this "myths" piece, as I hoped he would:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/22/julian-assange-media-contempt http://bit.ly/OZZZJr

Statesman David Allen Green generated a fair amount of attention byannouncing that he would use his objective legal expertise<http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/five-legal-myths-about-assange-extradition> to bust what he called "legal myths about the Assange extradition." These myths, he said, are being irresponsibly spread by Assange defenders and "are like 'zombie facts' which stagger on even when shot down."

>In addition to his other credentials, Green – like virtually the entire
British press – is a long-time and deeply devoted Assange-basher<http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/human-rights/2012/06/desperation-julian-assange>, and his purported myth-busting was predictably regurgitated<http://gawker.com/5936600/> by those who reflexively grasp onto anything that reflects poorly on western establishmentarians' public enemy No1. It's really worth examining what Green argued to understand the behavior in which Assange detractors engage to advance this collective vendetta, and also to see how frequently blatant ideological agendas masquerade as high-minded, objective legal expertise.

Follow the link to read the rest. Long, but worthwhile if the subject interests you.

Solving the Climate Crisis web page: SolvingTheClimateCrisis.com Grist Blog: http://grist.org/author/gar-lipow/ Online technical reference: http://www.nohairshirts.com