[lbo-talk] Why High French Unemployment Rate?

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Tue Dec 25 22:41:57 PST 2012

At 10:49 AM -0500 25/12/12, Doug Henwood wrote:

>There's not much subjective about the BLS questions. Were you
>employed during the week of the 12th? If not, did you want a job? If
>yes, then did you actively look for work - answering an ad, knocking
>on doors, sending out resumes - over the last week? If yes, you're
>unemployed. If no, next question: did you actively look over the
>last year? If yes, discouraged. If no, not in labor force (though
>wanting a job).

What is subjective is whether the answers to the survey questions are truthful or not. Apart from anything else.

How someone receiving government unemployment benefits (the eligibility for which includes being actively looking for work) answers a question (posed by someone sent by the government) can't always be assumed to be totally accurate.

In some cultures it may be considered wise to answer "yes" to the question "did you actively look for work in the last month", posed by the nice lady from the government. Irrespective of what the objective fact of that matter may be. In other cultures it might be very hard to answer untruthfully. Or perhaps in some places there is no welfare safety net to influence the answers the unemployed person may give.

Apart from that, there is the small matter of what is considered "actively looking for work". Is being nice, say at a barbeque or casual meeting, to a friend or relative you think may be able to get you a job where he/she works, actively seeking work? Some people might think so. Others might insist that unless you formally lodge a copy of your resume with your relative/friend, you haven't actively sought work.

What do you think? In my experience Americans are rather nice people. Polite and perhaps excessively trusting. I reckon they are more likely to tell the truth.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas