[lbo-talk] Santa Rita, I Hate Every Inch of You

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:37:56 PST 2012

[If Purucker is a reliable index of currents, Occupy has in just a few months learned what the alterglobo movement never did.]

As far as I know there was an immense amount of both focused and 'far-reaching,' conversation in that 'movement.' But as several have pointed out on this list and elsewhere, Wisconsin (including OW*S) represents a 'new start,' involving new constituencies. You can't use it and the "anti-global" movement to knock one or the other. The latter involved the usual suspects, a gathering up of possibilities from the past. It was a complete success in its own terms, and it is silly to talk about it learning or not learning something.

And it's premature to see OWS as a coherent movement that can (already) be judged. I emphasize the need for theorizing "where we have gotten to," but all these critiques (positive and negative) are premature unless you regard them as merely voices in a conversation that has hardly begun yet.

Carrol