[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 16 13:22:47 PST 2012

This rehearsal of banalities which no one would disagree with is illustrative of the impossibility of conversation (as opposed to point scoffing) on lb-talk.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of // ravi Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:36 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

On Feb 16, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/2012 10:18 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>>> Absolutely. For one thing, you have to struggle with reality...rather
than just manipulating symbols.

>> Any good writer constantly struggles with reality...by manipulating
symbols. (What is Capital Vol. 1? Chopped liver?)

> Really. To appreciate manual labor we don't have to disparage the mental
kind.

What is disparaging about manipulating symbols? What are logicians and theoretical mathematicians? Chopped liver? :-)

-ravi