[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Feb 16 18:58:57 PST 2012

i don't understand what is so objectionable.

sure, people retreat to banalities because, while they have objections to what someone says and they like to blow off some steam about it, they rarely have the time to devote to a full exchange. So, people retreat to banalties. On another list, when people wanted to end the word war, they'd post and share a recipe from which was born the DC Stuff Cookbook. Personally, I think that would do us much better, but the idea is the same: it's a kind of phatic speech that maintains solidarity through the ritual without purpose.

That's life on this list these days. It used to be different, exchanges were lengthier and lasted for quite some time, interesting debates from which you could learn. *shrug*

It's a shame to bow out because JOanna's post, which started this discussion, was also superb.