[lbo-talk] New look at Yom Kippur war

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 23 12:25:45 PST 2012

Israel Shamir is awful, and it's sad that CP publishes him. E.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Shamir#Views

Shamir has made statements opposing both Zionism and Judaism,[20] and is a supporter of the proposed one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.[21] Shamir has argued that there is organized Jewish control of the media and public discourse: "The rich Jews buy media so it will cover up their (and their brethren's) misdeeds. The Jews in the media are giving protection to the rich Jews. ... In the US, even in Western Europe, no view can be proposed to the general public unless approved (after being vetted and corrected) by a Jewish group."[5] He is critical of what he considers a Jewish quest for world hegemony, having written, "Palestine is not the ultimate goal of the Jews; the world is. Palestine is just the place for world state headquarters; necessary, for otherwise the people of Europe wouldn't be magnetised like a rabbit in the headlights of a car."[4]

In 2001, Ali Abunimah and Hussein Ibish circulated an email in which they said that "from early on, some of Shamir's writings struck us as straying beyond criticism of Israel and Zionism, and crossing into the territory of implicit anti-Semitism". They urged "all our friends in the movement for Palestinian rights" to consider the effects of Shamir's writing, which includes "elements of traditional European anti-Semitic rhetoric", on their cause.[22]

He has been accused of being an antisemite and Holocaust denier,[23] with Searchlight in 2004 accusing him of connections to antisemitic publications and groups,[12] and its campaign Hope not Hate at one time listing Shamir as a "notable Holocaust denier," citing the "rabid Holocaust denial material" on his website.[24] Essays supporting the tenets of Holocaust denial, such as the alleged non-existence of gas chambers at Auschwitz, are posted on Shamir's personal website.[25] In February 2005 Labour life peer Nazir Ahmed held a book launch for Shamir in the House of Lords. Commenting on the event, Stephen Pollard in The Times,[23] called him a "rabid anti-Semite."[23] Shamir rejected the accusations, and Gilad Atzmon wrote to The Times in his defence.[26][10]