[lbo-talk] On the Zombie Apocalypse

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Feb 27 06:20:04 PST 2012

we had survive norfolk, started by one Whitney Metzger, who just want to play a game with her friends. The announcement went out on facebook and soon 10k people had signed up - or some ridiculous number. The city flipped out, made Whitney cough up $5k to pay for the cops needed to protect and serve, had to do all sorts of organizing that she wouldn't have otherwise, etc. From what I understand the Survive X games have been popular on campus for over a decade.

She's subsequently held a Star Wars light saber game and, at one point, wanted our group to be the fulcrum for some sort of fitness games designed to help us "survive" the coming apocalypse. It was just a bid for getting us involved, to tap into our organizational resources, not so much because anyone was interesting in truly surviving anything. Here, all it is an elaborate game of tag with the opportunity to dress up.

I don't really think its emblematic of anything other than people wanting to meet people in places other than bars. It's telling that Whitney had to form an LLC in order to pull off that year's Survive zombie game and she called it Urban Playground. I think what's going on is simply that there are more and more single young people, staying single for longer than they did pre-50s, when it was typical to get married in your late 20s. Back then, though, you lived with your family or in boarding houses, and there were social institutions and rituals around dating. Today's heterosexuals don't have that, outside of college.