[lbo-talk] The Zapatistas triggered it all

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 4 18:20:04 PST 2012

The specifics of how this was kept alive in the U.S. context, via Direct Action Networks, is documented in Graeber's Direct Action. I strongly encourage anyone interested in this topic to read this book. He helps you understand that much of the handwringing over much of what went on with OWS (the problem of GAs, violence v non-violence, etc.) are issues that direct action networks have been dealing with for years, continually modifying their approach based on what they learn in the field. Although some arguments, natch, repeat themselves.

Those interested in what black blocs actually do (as opposed to wild imaginings from Proyect) should definitely read this book. While much of this was discussed here already, you can get a better sense of the nitty gritty details through empirical illustration. Notably, the book also reveals that the issue with the peace police organizing and staging attack is an ongoing one and there's a history of the peace police using violence on direct action anarchists. The anarchists walk away because they really are opposed to the use of violence against people and animals.

There's also a fascinating insight into the history of labor alliances with Direct Action Networks, which explains why, from the beginning, there was a labor outreach campaign. There was one, not because of any innovation unique to OWS (It was remarked on in the press like it was something special), but because it was a direct result of a decision to maintain this as a core alliance, ever since Seattle. Thus, all the DANs Graeber discusses have two focal issues to which a major working group is assigned:

1. Labor Outreach 2. Police and Prisons

It turns out that there is a rich history orf association with labor unions on the part of DANs, contrary to claims I read here recently. And since the organizers heavily involved in the NYC DAN had much to do with OWS, it was natural that they immediately created a labor outreach group as described by Sitrin, Graeber and others. In NYC, unions regularly approached the NYC DAN for help with strikes - for bodies, for puppets and banner drops, etc. Don't have time to detail all of the actions mentioned in the book, so I'd really encourage you to take a look at this book for more on the intellectual and movement history.

Graeber also discusses the drawbacks of the direct action approach, in much finer detail than I've seen so far. The weakness of the approach, as he sees them, are nothing like what outsiders have claimed.