[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jan 5 16:48:58 PST 2012

At 10:06 AM 1/5/2012, Wojtek S wrote:
>With that in mind - being a liberal is a reason of "embarrassment" and
>scorn only for the religiously radical left and the tactical
>reactionary activists, albeit for different reasons. For the
>religiously radical left, liberals are the part of the
>politics-as-business which the the radicals reject, but they also
>occupy areas that are adjacent to that claimed by the radicals.

as far as I can tell, people like Yves Smith are straight up Liberals who are iinterested in using government to create policies in order to alleviate the worst excesses of capitalism. They're not really about demos and, WRT Yves, seem unconcerned about exegesis on Marx since she posted a post (by someone else) about marx whic, speaking as a religious type, was quite clearly writtenn by someone wholly unfamiliar with Marx's texts.

I can't be bothered to do more ethnographic observations of these types but suffice it to say they remind of, for instance, left communitarians who have a critique of liberalism and capitalism, but are often policy wonks, so spend their time sneering at Liberals as much as they sneer at conservatives. As the post I'd read about Marx said, they sneer at Liberals because Liberalism didn't work. It was failure, but not on any grounds that a religious Marxist would ever support.

shag