[lbo-talk] Ron Paul on the Civil War

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 09:42:52 PST 2012

Nathan: "> Wow, at this point I can't tell whether Paul's not-exactly-crypto-racism
> or old age are doing most of his talking."

[WS:] I do not think it is the latter, he seems quite lucid. I do not know what Paul, or for that matter other people think, of course, but if I were to speculate I would say "showmanship." Those guys are like professional wrestlers - thy do not actually fight, they stage fights for the entertainment of stupid people. They say and what they think will resonate with their audiences, and their own views on the issue are not germane.

So it does not matter whether Paul himself is a racist. He is seeking support of people who are, and he must act as one. AFAIK, Republicans are defined by two and only issues racism (and bigotry more generally) and tax evasion - period. There is nothing more to them. To gain their support, any politician must express racist views and endorse tax evasion. All Republican candidates must do it or lose support - they only problem they face is how to do it in a convincing and appealing way.

Wojtek