[lbo-talk] Maybe Zionists should rethink their new honesty-is-the-best-policy policy

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Mon Jun 4 00:26:36 PDT 2012

No, he does say "white people" at the end, I was just truncating, because I was talking about the ways to translate the part in question.

Look, I am in no way trying to minimize what an ass Yishai is, and he is still saying "us white people," which is absurd because many Israelis wouldn't put him in that category and many Jewish Israelis are not white....so who the hell is the "us" he is talking about....

but the translation in Reuters is quite bad. In fact, you would use the word "Afilu" if it was the way it was translated in Reuters and not "Beechlal lo," which is what he says.

In Hebrew it is quite clear that he is saying that they (these immigrants) think that “we have no right to be here, AT ALL."

The "AT ALL" part is the "Beechlal lo".

They also mistranslate another word...but it isn't really relevant to go into.

Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Gar Lipow Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 00:45 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Maybe Zionists should rethink their new honesty-is-the-best-policy policy

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org> wrote:

> Actually, on closer reading, though Eli Yishai is still a disgusting
> person, I DON'T think that is the appropriate translation of what he
> was saying (and he says some other putrid accusations in the article,
> for instance about African immigrants and AIDS).
>
> He says: "Most of the people that come here are Muslims who think that
> the country in no way belongs to us, the white people."

If the above is a reasonable translation then that is pretty damn close.

> Or you could translate it as: "who think that the country doesn't
> belong to us at all..."

This 2nd translation is NOt close. But this 2nd translation implies he did not mention color. But maybe in Hebrew there is more ambiguity than there would be in English