[lbo-talk] Internet accounts

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:09:58 PDT 2012

More generally there are two solutions. Given that you have a decent income, spring for password vault. Then you set up one really good passphrase and password vault makes up passwords and logs you in everywhere.

If you are two cheap to do this, then ignore what they say about no duplicate passwords. One for banks and credit cards and bank like things. One for paypal and internet things that involve money but are not banklike. One for social media like facebook and twitter. One for email accounts. One throwaway for logging in on blogs and the NY Times and so on. So now you keep 5 logins and 5 passwords. If you want you can even keep all 5 user names the same and just have five passwords. When they make you change your password just increment it. Yeah security people will hate me for suggesting this. security people also admit that having more than five passwords is absurd. And yeah the incrementing thing is risky too because hackers know most people do this. But human memory has limits so I see the need to do this as screwup by security system designers, not the users who want security that lets them get their work done.

If you want really good security on the level security experts want you have then use password vault or similar services. (Jordan and Shag can probably suggest the best ones) Otherwise work around the security requirements to keep your passwords managable and live with the fact that you don't have the best possible security. On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote: