[lbo-talk] Internet accounts

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 21 18:04:38 PDT 2012

yup. they all know that it's impossible to keep that many different really complex passwords to mind. but they make money getting people to pay them to write articles and training collateral for tips and tricks to do so. that's the cynical approach. the other is sort of like health professionals and exercise recommendations. they tell you that, ideally, you ought to exercise 1 hour a day, 7 days a week. Which is true for women in sedentary jobs. that amount of high intensity exercise each day is necessary to prevent weight gain. in a study that spanned 12 years and followed over 5k women, all but 13% of the women gained weight eating a normal diet. The only ones who didn't were women who worked out 1 hr per day, 7 days a week. Alas, most health pros know that people won't and can't exercise that much due to other obligations in their lives, weather, etc. Still, they tell them that they need a lot of exercise anyway, on the hopes that they will just to it three times a week, which is better than nothing and is more than enough of what you need to maintain cardio health. (although there is another whole school that is just all about getting people to do anything to move more such as park your car far away from the store door, etc.)

speaking of the latter, read a book over the weekend about the science behind common exercise issues (e.g., cardio or weights first at the gym? more protein to prevent lean body mass? etc.) fascinating stuff. there's a really interesting section on the fact that our biggest enemy these days is the sedentary lifestyle at work. if we could also just work in a job where we regularly strolled or even engaged in repetitive tasks such as a factory line, we'd do better. what's killing us is the work that we do that usually involves a 9 hour stretch of our lives on our ass. apparently, some research has shown that light activity all through the day, even if it only burns 4 more calories per hour is actually better than spending one hour on the hamster wheel at the gym every single day. no shit.