[lbo-talk] Bill Maher: 'The new racism is denying racism'

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Mar 28 21:50:02 PDT 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:20:30 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Isn't racial profiling racist? Plenty of that going around.
>
> Black people get much harsher sentences than white people. Isn't that racism?
>
> Also segregation in the schools. It's as bad as in the Brown days. Isn't that racism?

All true, of course. But how much of it is racism, and how much is just about preserving the status quo -- keeping the poor poor, and the not-so-poor that little bit less poor?

I remember 1957. It doesn't feel the same to me -- though in many ways it's worse. I kinda think we need a new vocabulary.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org