[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed May 9 07:52:21 PDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 6:45 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> PS. I do not go places like western PA very often, but when I do one
> of the things I fear the most is driving on two lane roads. I know
> that it does not take much for a guy who just had a few beers and is
> driving his pickup truck home to cross that double yellow line at any
> time.

That's not all you have to worry about. I don't think this guy was driving a pickup either:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-01-drowsy-drivers_N.htm

[...]

Two years ago, Edwards, 39, was driving to his Pottstown, Pa., home after working a night shift. He fell asleep, waking to the frantic honking of a woman whose car he was forcing off the road. "She was already on the shoulder," Edwards says, adding that he pulled over just in time for the woman to avoid crashing into a ditch. "I told my wife, and she was really upset. She said I had to (get help)."

Drowsy driving is one of the most vexing problems involving traffic safety. It is a factor in more than 100,000 crashes, resulting in 1,550 deaths and 40,000 injuries annually, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "That's probably a conservative estimate," says Jeff Michael, the NHTSA's associate administrator for research and program development.

[...]