[lbo-talk] The death of cursive....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 25 08:08:03 PST 2012

Since I went blind I have had a difficult time composing over a page or two. Why? My reading of my own text is a slower process, & I can only hold so much in my head at once. So I lose control of the structure of what I'm writing or trying to write.

Now, I discovered about 45 years ago that many of the botches that my students turned in were _literally_ fragments; that is, the sentence had been a complete sentence in the mind of the student, but his/her writing/printing was so slow that only pieces of the original sentence got transferred from brain to paper. And there was no way in which instruction in grammar or rhetoric could change those broken sentences or broken paragraphs. And now when I attempt to write a longer piece, only fragments of the whole reach the screen. If I were using cursive I would now have descended to total illiteracy.

Using the keyboard gives one much more control over what one is writing than using a pen or pencil. (Incidentally, when fountain pens replaced pencils, there were many who thought it would destroy writing.) I've only been reading Jordan on this thread because I am totally unable to grasp what earthly reason anyone would have for preferring cursive to a computer keyboard. I don't want to see the pitiful efforts some posters may be making to defend cursive. I have no doubt that student writing will have improved greatly since they abandoned cursive for computers. They should master their own language more fully. It's possible that texting will bring about a similar improvement in the mastery of English.

Carrol