[lbo-talk] Bounty offered in Pakistan activist shooting

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 06:29:37 PDT 2012

Haven't read Graeber so I am talking through my hat, but it seems to me that, first, there is a connection between honor and humiliation -- Nietzsche and Hegel territory --but I doubt that the humiliation of women generated honor for the warrior elite.

Women were too insignificant. A peasant beating his wife might have derived an honor- surrogate from her humiliation, but lords obtained honor by defeating other lords in battle. Taking and raping their women was part of that, but it was like taking any other chattel, their land, chiefly, their ox, their ass, and the other things listed in the Biblical commandment against covetousness, along with wives. It might have been more humiliating to steal a neighbor's ox or ass, which was worth money in non-slave societies.

Upper class woman killing, humiliation, etc., did not directly enhance warrior honor, but asserted a property right that a woman or worse, another man might have challenged, thus dishonoring her master by showing him to be weak and unable to control his property, by showing a will of her own or his subjection to the will of another master, typically by having sex with someone else. This helps explain why adultery was punishable by death but lesbianism was invisible.

I don't know enough about the history of women's education, but in medieval Europe wasn't reading and writing part of a proper lady's accomplishments along with sewing, singing, dressing decoratively, being a good hostess? To the extent it was not so, as perhaps in the Muslim world, about which my Ignorance is shameful, maintaining control over property seems a more economical explanation, like similar prohibitions against slave literacy in the US South.

Women were just too far down on the pecking order for their humiliation to confer honor. A lord might as well have attempt to demonstrate his honor by debasing his ox or his ass. I am making all this up based on vague general knowledge of premodern society and that dangerous resource, common sense.

Sent from my iPad