[lbo-talk] ....as for the storm

Eleutherios eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 14:31:23 PDT 2012

On 28-Oct-12 15:50, Wojtek S wrote:
> [WS:] It should not be worse than the derecho we got on June 29, no?
> We were four days without power and a few houses around got crushed by
> falling trees. They rebuilt just in time for Sandy ;)
>
> As I see, the main problem is not the bad weather, but
> under-investment in infrastructure (i.e. private ownership of service
> delivery aka capitalism) - most of our power lines are above ground
> and thus susceptible to falling trees.
It is likely to be worse than the derecho http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/modflanis.php?type=12-GFS-US-850-spd&device=nomob , the winds may be at least as strong, will be more consistent in areal coverage, and *will* last much longer. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201210281841-KPHI-NOUS41-PNSPHI That is generally speaking, how it'll compare for specific locations will vary. 50-60 mph winds with lake shore flooding are expected in *Chicago* by the nor'easter element of this hybrid system http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=ILZ014&warncounty=ILC031&firewxzone=ILZ014&local_place1=&product1=High+Wind+Watch .

There are some natural disasters of such magnitude that not much can be done or affordably mitigated, however, I overall agree with your sentiment. The calamity of Hurricane Katrina was more to do about poor infrastructure due to poor politics/society than it was about weather and storm surge. In terms of individual structures, hurricane, tornado, and derecho wind damage can largely be cheaply mitigated by building codes and such things as hurricane straps in roofing and proper anchoring to foundations.

It's also worth noting that certain areas will experience very intense snowfall rates with accumulations totaling several feet.