[lbo-talk] Blog Psot: Why is our work so meaningless?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 4 06:26:20 PST 2013

On Feb 3, 2013, at 11:07 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> Socrates put forth the slogan of Know Thyself -- which _meant_ Know
> your Place... It simply was the
> organizing principle of any society Socrates could imagine.

Socrates "put forth" nothing of the sort. "Know your place" scarcely describes the self-conception of a stonemason who made himself into a philosopher/gadfly. *Gnothi Seauton* ("know thyself*) was one of the phrases inscribed above the gate at the Delphic Oracle, the cultural center of the Greek world. There were two other phrases going along with it: "Nothing in excess" and "Stand surety [for a loan] and ruin is at hand"

Three maxims that have been and are being conspicuously disregarded by The City, Wall Street, et. al., with the results we see.

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol