[lbo-talk] EDF suing climate activists for ?5 million - protesters face losing homes

Chuck Grimes cagrimes42 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:07:01 PST 2013

now everybody agrees that it was a disaster of epic proportions. For more than twenty years now, Britain has failed to build enough homes to replace its ageing housing stock. James Heartfield

I think this is specific to the politics and urban geography of location. So you have to outline the details. I don't understand the issues.

I had to look up EDF. It claims to be a low carbon energy supplier.

Below is a link to a Guardian story about the environmental group who occupied the powerplant exhaust towers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2013/feb/21/occupy-power-station-no-dash-for-gas-video

Hate to say it, but that looked like an awful lot of fun. Nice to see rock climbing gear and classical big wall techniques. Notice all the knots, the bowline, figure eight, and double fisherman.

So is the above video relevant to your issues? If so explain the relationship. By nimby activists, I assume you are refering to women climbers? Naughty, naughty James.

In the ancient past I was part of save the Stanislaus River. It was a favorite white water rafting run. The US Army Corps of Engineers built the New Melones dam so the down stream agriculture industry had more irrigation water. A few small local farmers set up their own group to oppose us environmental crazies. They looked better than a bunch of corporate suits. So we got a couple of disabled guys to chain themselves to trees near the water line to stop the fill and took photos for the local press. Caused a big stir. I had the honor of rowing a news crew into the more remote section of the new reservoir to interview the chainees in the middle of the night to avoid cops, rangers, highway patrol and other security forces. Lots of fun and did no good at all. After a few months more delay the dam was filled and the lower section of the river was killed for the greater corporate good of the state.

CG

PS. I am on page 307, Second Invasion of your book The Unpatriotic History of WWII.