[lbo-talk] Left-Forum Panel

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 10 17:50:52 PDT 2013

As I said in my first post, the question (as I posed it) is crude; it's probably only useful if it engenders better questions. But taking it so far (one response from Joanna & my off-the-cuff response to that) it is interesting the directions it points in. I would think that if "feudalism" replaced "capitalism," Joanna's localist understanding of it would be correct, because feudalism never was and never could have become a global system. Hence the phrase, "feudalism at its best" would refer to some specific location, say northern France. Or it could even be taken as referring to Lord X's domain vs other domains. The misery of the peasants subject to Lord Q is an isolated fact, as is the relative decency of the peasants of Lord P. In Our Mutual Friend Dickens posits one factory at least where (allegedly) all the workers are happy and the management are delightful people. That would not be absurd in 12th-c England or the world of Hesiod. (Hesiods gives us mostly "gift grabbing" lords, but nothing he says excludes the material possibility of one or more lords being quite benevolent. And while probably re relation 'Homer' gives between Odysseus and the Swineherd is a shuck, it is not, _in principle_, impossible. But can we imagine a global capitalism in which all 8 billion of us live at least as well as the bottom third of Swedes in 1960?

ALSO. Blundering along. I think my question (even in its present unsatisfactory form) shows the wrongness of bring morality to the judgment of capitalism. Some form of moralism _might_ make sense in 12th-c France. (The Scholastic concept of The Just Price made some sense when it was raised; in the 20th-c that view is associated with Fascism in the Cantos! And I think that was a correct perception on Pound's part: If you want a Just Price you need a totalitarian state.

Carrol