[lbo-talk] Check your privilege: Rise of the Post-New Left political vocabulary

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 08:10:49 PST 2014

I wouldn't say the "nonviolence" this is always silly, or at least equally silly. I mean, if someone from the US or UK wants to go tell their own damn government to be nonviolent, I don't have a problem with that, however much I might or might not expect it to work.

But when Westerners try to impart their "nonviolence" onto the struggles of people who are resisting the far more substantial violence of said governments, it smacks of - what, exactly? Perhaps not "privilege"; the word might be irredeemably corrupted at this point. But something considerably more obnoxious than a flawed strategy.

Agreed about the silliness of 'nonviolence' but I'm not sure that putting it