[lbo-talk] Am I or Am I Not Charlie?

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:44:52 PST 2015

"Demands" doesn't necessarily imply a precondition, but maybe "entails" would have been less open to misconstrual. Same with "understanding ourselves . . . as antagonists," which might have been clearer as "understanding ourselves . . . to be antagonists." Neither expression can be described as "empty" in the way "understanding ourselves" might be without a predicate. And all predicates are not of equal value. "We ourselves [are] antagonists with our opponents" means something even if "We ourselves [are] Charlie" doesn't.