[lbo-talk] On the dangers of faux statehood

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:34:25 PDT 2015

> On 24 Jul 2015, at 20:17, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry, "passports" vs. "travel documents" is one of those American/European
> things. For us, they're the same, at least as I've always heard the terms.
> Over there, I know "passport" often means "citizenship."

No, they totally aren't the same thing. A passport is a passport - it's not synonymous with citizenship, though usually you have to be a citizen of a country to get its passport. A travel document is a document issued to someone who needs to travel internationally but is unable to obtain a passport. It may be that the terms are used interchangeably in common parlance in parts of the US, but the State Department distinguishes them and quite certainly so does the Swedish government.

The passport index you linked to only ranks passports, not travel documents. A Swedish travel document would not have the same utility as a Swedish passport.