[lbo-talk] the next recession

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 30 13:59:33 PST 2016

It is highly doubtful that Marx held on to the FROP theory -- mentioned only in K3 -- the first volume to be written & never revised. The unavoidable tyranny of capitalism is commodity fetishism (which is _not_ a belief or a feeling or a fantasy but an objective reality of capitalist production; its political implication is that workers mutually oppress themselves by working.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of James Creegan Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:51 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the next recession

Marv Gandall asked:

Frankly, if someone could explain to me the immediate practical implications of these conflicting crisis theories, I?d be grateful. Otherwise, the debate is mainly scholastic.

To listen to someone like Andrew Kliman, the political implications are no less than reform v. revolution. If one argues that underconsumption is the cause of the crisis, then Keynesian consumption-boosting government policies are a possible remedy. If, on the other hand, the FROP is the cause, there is no remedy outside the abolition of capitalism itself. This is not my view, just one I have heard stated.