[lbo-talk] CFR on civil war in Iraq

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:23:11 PST 2006

On 2/28/06, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doug Henwood (who preiviously implied that the CFR was essentially
> irrelevant) wrote:
> > Further to the demented assertion that the Council on Foreign
> > Relations wants, nay planned, a civil war in Iraq:
> >
> > <http://cfr.org/region/405/iraq.html>
> >
> > Sectarian violence in the wake of this week's attack on the Shiite
> > Golden Mosque in Samarra have raised fears that an Iraqi civil war is
> > imminent. Civil war would destroy the chances of the newly elected
> > central government and create even more instability across the region.
> >
> So where's the indication here that they think this affects
> "empirical" plans in any way, or should we extrapolate?
>
> Whose fear? We've terrorised the population of Iraq since
> (at least) 1991, and we didn't want them to be fearful?
>
> Right!
>
> You REALLY DO have a problem with the idea that
> U.S. mideast policy might have an established plan 'B'
> that was ready to go... Perhaps more ready (and actualizable)
> than plan 'A' which required long term support from national
> governments and the people of those nations, like congress...
> and the American people.
>
> IMHO, now all the policywonks think that we will just be able to go
> in and pick up the spoils of Iraq's civil was too, and of course, they'll
> be horribly, tragically wrong... But wishful thinking seems to be as
> endless as the 'America Dream[tm]'
>
> Don't be simplistic... The people who plan these wars, make and
> promulgate these foreign policies, are VICIOUS CONNIVING
> TWO-FACED CRETINS... and always have been. Nice, simple
> people don't rise to the top of governmental power structures
> (or for that matter, any social structure currently operational)

so, is your contention that civil war is the neocon plan B? i admit that i am way behind in conversations on this list, so i don't have the history.

but if i read you right, you are basically saying that the neocons are cynical power-grabbers dressed up as democracy-promoting ideologues. is that a fair read?

-- "lo que decimos no siempre se parece a nosotros" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060228/59771ba9/attachment.htm>